Columbia, TN Criminal Defense Lawyer
Criminal defense attorneys in Columbia, TN protect your freedom
Any type of criminal charge is scary. When you’re arrested, you’ll be fingerprinted, photographed, and likely confined until bail can be arranged. Even with a speedy trial, it may take months or longer before your case is resolved. If convicted, you could be sentenced to jail, ordered to pay a fine, and you’ll have a criminal record. Other penalties may apply depending on the criminal offense. On release from prison, a felony conviction could make it difficult to find work or a place to live. That's why you need a Columbia criminal defense attorney.
You do have rights. Often, there are defenses. At the Law Offices of Adrian H. Altshuler & Associates, our Columbia criminal defense lawyer is your advocate and your voice from the moment we start representing you until there is a dismissal of the charges, a plea bargain, or a trial to decide your innocence or guilt. For 30 years, we’ve been fighting for defendants in Columbia who have been charged with misdemeanors, felonies, or serious traffic offenses. We’ll aggressively work to show the prosecution’s case is weak and that you deserve your freedom.
How can we help?
What types of charges does your Columbia criminal defense law firm handle?
The Law Offices of Adrian H. Altshuler & Associates handles both federal and state criminal cases. We handle serious crimes – crimes where a conviction is likely to result in a prison sentence. We’ve earned the respect of former clients, the police, and prosecutors for our ability to defend you, negotiate with prosecutors, and argue your case before a Columbia jury thoroughly and aggressively.
Some of the types of criminal cases we handle include:
- DUI (driving under the influence). A DUI charge can be due to driving while impaired due to alcohol, drugs, or a combination of substances. Even a first-time conviction can result in at least two days in jail, a revocation of your license, fines, higher insurance rates, mandatory participation in a substance abuse program, and higher insurance rates. Our Columbia DUI lawyers work to show the police didn’t have grounds to stop you, didn’t conduct any tests properly, the testing equipment wasn’t valid, and assert other defenses that may apply.
- Drug-related crimes. If you’re charged at the federal or state level with possession, dealing, trafficking, or other drug charges, you need an experienced Columbia criminal defense lawyer on your side to contest the admissibility of drug evidence, the amount of drugs involved, and assert other defenses – whether you live in Columbia or are just visiting to attend events like Bonnaroo.
- Sex crimes. Sex crimes include aggravated rape, aggravated sexual battery, aggravated sexual exploitation of a minor, criminal sexual conduct, and many other offenses. If convicted, you’ll likely be sentenced to prison. You’ll also likely have to register as a sex offender which can make your life very difficult when you’re released from prison. Our Columbia criminal defense attorney is an experienced sex crime defense lawyer. We’ll fight for your liberty and reputation.
- Theft, larceny and embezzlement. These crimes are misdemeanors or felonies depending on the value of the items involved and other factors. Embezzlement is a federal crime. At the Law Offices of Adrian H. Altshuler & Associates, we contest every aspect of the criminal charge including contesting the value of the items, arguing that the prosecution cannot prove intent (where intent is required), showing you had a legal claim to the property, and other defenses. We handle all theft-related offenses including identity theft and theft of services.
- Vehicular homicide. In Tennessee, vehicular homicide is the most serious type of vehicle offense. A conviction can mean 30 years in jail; 60 if you drive while under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Traffic violations. Our Columbia criminal defense attorney fights for drivers who are charged with traffic offenses such as speeding, which can be quite costly and serious traffic offenses that can result in imprisonment. We handle misdemeanor and felony traffic offenses as well as offenses that will result with points being assessed against your driving record.
We represent defendants arrested for misdemeanors and felonies. Felony crimes usually carry longer sentences and larger fines. A felony conviction will appear on a background check. Misdemeanor crimes can also result in imprisonment for months or years. We often fight to reduce felony crimes to misdemeanors while also fighting to have the charges dismissed and to obtain acquittals.
The Law Offices of Adrian H. Altshuler represent minors who are charged with violating the law. We strive to convince the prosecution and the judge that your child needs rehabilitation not incarceration.
What are the stages of a criminal prosecution in Columbia, TN?
We represent defendants at all stages of a criminal prosecution – most commonly once a defendant is arrested. It is critical that you contact an experienced Columbia criminal defense lawyer as soon as possible so we can speak for you and be your advocate with the police and the prosecution.
The different stages of a criminal case include:
- Before the arrest. If you’re stopped for questioning about criminal conduct, you have the right to refuse to answer. Police generally need a warrant based on probable cause to search you, your home, or your property unless the search is deemed reasonable.
- The arrest. If you’re arrested, you have the right to remain silent and the right to speak to an attorney and to be told if you can’t afford an attorney, you will be provided with an attorney. After the arrest, you’ll be booked at the police station where you’ll be photographed, searched, fingerprinted, and questioned. Again, you have the right to refuse to answer any questions and ask to speak with your lawyer. We’re ready to help you today.
- The arraignment and bail. A local judge or magistrate will read the charges against you. We generally advise clients to plead not guilty. You may be released on your own recognizance. Otherwise, there will be a bail hearing to determine whether cash, bond, or collateral can be used to obtain your release.
- Pretrial issues. Normally, a preliminary hearing will be scheduled to determine if there is enough evidence for a full trial. Prior to trial, we will likely file motions and seek to exclude any illegally obtained evidence. We may also attempt, with your consent, to try to negotiate a plea agreement.
- A speedy trial. You have a right to a speedy trial. You have the right to participate in the selection of a jury of your peers. Our Columbia defense lawyer is skilled at the jury selection process presenting evidence, and arguing your defenses before a judge and jury.
- We’ll explain your right to appeal a conviction and the strict time limits on when to file an appeal.
What defenses can show I’m not guilty of the criminal charges?
We discuss your case with you in detail. We want to know what happened that led to the charges. We explain how lawyer confidentiality works so that you feel comfortable telling us what we need to know to present your strongest defense.
The defense strategies vary depending on the exact criminal charge. Common criminal defenses include arguing that:
- The police violated your Constitutional rights such as conducting an illegal search or forcing you to incriminate yourself
- The police didn’t have grounds to stop or arrest you
- Any equipment used such as a breathalyzer test is invalid or wasn’t properly used
- Intent, when required by the statute, is missing
- The prosecution cannot prove your guilt beyond a reasonable doubt
Other legal and factual often apply.
We also skillfully question the witnesses against you.
Do you have a Columbia criminal defense lawyer near me?
Our law office is located at 604 N High St in Columbia, TN. We do meet clients in prison if they’re confined.
Our guide to finding the right criminal defense lawyer helps people in Columbia who’ve been arrested choose experienced legal counsel like the Law Offices of Adrian H. Altshuler & Associates
Speak with an experienced Columbia, TN defense lawyer today
We understand how frightened you are. Your freedom, your reputation, your finances, and possibly your employment are all at stake if you’re arrested for a crime. The Law Offices of Adrian H. Altshuler & Associates works aggressively to investigate your case, speak with witnesses, and speak with the police and the prosecution. Our Columbia criminal defense lawyer will work with you to build the strongest defense possible. We’ll also explore plea bargains, drug courts, and alternatives to imprisonment.
Call us now or use our contact form to schedule your initial consultation. We are proud to represent defendants throughout the Columbia region.