Franklin, Columbia, and Brentwood Spousal Support Modifications Lawyers

Franklin, Columbia & Brentwood Spousal Support Modifications Lawyers

When you have a change in financial circumstances, our Tennessee spousal support modification attorneys can help

Are you facing changes in your financial circumstances after a divorce in Tennessee? Navigating the complexities of spousal support modifications can be daunting, especially when financial situations are evolving. At the Law Offices of Adrian H. Altshuler & Associates, we understand the challenges you may encounter when seeking adjustments to spousal support arrangements. Our dedicated team of Franklin spousal support modification attorneys understands spousal support modification cases, offering tailored legal guidance and advocacy to help you achieve fair and equitable outcomes. We are committed to protecting your rights and advocating for your best interests every step of the way.

How can we help?

What is spousal support modification?

Spousal support modification refers to the process of making changes to an existing spousal support arrangement or alimony agreement between former spouses. Spousal support, also known as alimony, is the financial support that one spouse may be required to pay to the other after a divorce or separation to help maintain the recipient's standard of living.

When can I request to modify my Franklin spousal support?

Here in Tennessee, you can request to modify your spousal support under certain circumstances. The process and eligibility criteria for modifying spousal support vary by state. You may request a modification of spousal support if there has been a significant change in circumstances since the original spousal support order was issued.

Here are some common reasons for requesting a modification of spousal support in Franklin:

  • Change in income: If either you or your ex-spouse experiences a significant change in income, such as a loss of employment, salary reduction, or increase in income, you may be eligible to request a modification of spousal support.
  • Change in financial need: If the financial needs of either party change significantly, such as due to medical expenses or other unforeseen financial burdens, it may warrant a modification of spousal support.
  • Remarriage or cohabitation: In Tennessee, if the recipient spouse remarries or enters into a new cohabitating relationship, the paying spouse may seek a modification or termination of spousal support.
  • Duration of support: If the original spousal support order specifies a duration for the support, you may request a modification upon reaching the end of the specified period.
  • Disability or health issues: If either you or your ex-spouse experiences a significant change in health status, such as a serious illness or disability, it may justify a modification of spousal support.

To request a modification of spousal support in Tennessee, you typically need to file a motion with the court that issued the original alimony order. You'll need to provide evidence and documentation supporting the change in circumstances that justifies the modification. The court will then review the case and make a decision based on the facts presented and the applicable laws in Tennessee. It's advisable to consult with a family law attorney in Franklin to understand your rights and options regarding spousal support modification.

Does spousal support stop after an ex-spouse remarries?

Tennessee is not a state that leans heavily on permanent alimony. Many types of alimony are temporary. But the court may modify or even rescind a permanent order when a spouse remarries or obtains gainful employment that obviates the need for support. A knowledgeable Franklin alimony attorney can advise you whether your circumstances merit a modification or cancellation of alimony. The cancellation of alimony would not affect child support obligations since a parent has a duty to support a child irrespective of the other spouse’s financial status.

How do I modify alimony in Franklin?

In Tennessee, to modify alimony (spousal support), you need to follow specific procedures and meet certain criteria. Here's a general overview of how to modify alimony:

  • To request a modification of alimony, you must demonstrate that there has been a substantial and material change in circumstances since the original alimony order was issued. This change could relate to your financial situation, your ex-spouse's financial situation, or other relevant factors.
  • You must file a petition or motion with the court that issued the original alimony order. In Franklin, this is the Williamson County court system. This document should outline the reasons why you believe the alimony should be modified and provide supporting evidence for the change in circumstances.
  • Once you file the petition or motion, you must serve a copy of the document to your ex-spouse. Proper service ensures that your ex-spouse is aware of the proceedings and has an opportunity to respond.
  • After filing the petition or motion, the court will schedule a hearing to review the request for modification. Both parties will have the opportunity to present evidence and arguments supporting their positions.
  • The judge will consider the evidence presented during the hearing and any relevant factors outlined in Tennessee law. If the court determines that there has been a substantial change in circumstances justifying a modification of alimony, it may issue a new alimony order with revised terms.

It's important to note that the specific requirements and procedures for modifying alimony in Tennessee may vary depending on the circumstances of your case and the local court rules. Don’t go through this alone – the Franklin alimony modification attorneys at the Law Offices of Adrian H. Altshuler & Associates can provide you with guidance and representation throughout the modification process. We can help you understand your rights, assess the strength of your case, and navigate legal proceedings effectively.

Do you have a Franklin spousal support modification attorney near me?

We offer three locations to better serve our Tennessee clients:

Franklin Office
219 3rd Avenue N.
Franklin, Tennessee 37064-2504

Columbia Office
604 North High Street
Columbia, Tennessee 38401

Brentwood Office
1616 Liberty Blvd #363
Brentwood, TN 37027

We can also schedule video or phone consultations for your convenience.

Franklin alimony modification lawyers supporting you and your family

Take action today to explore your options for modifying your spousal support agreement. Whether you've experienced a significant change in income, health status, or other life events, you have the right to seek fair and equitable adjustments to your spousal support obligations. Consult with the Franklin spousal support modification lawyers at the Law Offices of Adrian H. Altshuler & Associates today for answers to all of your questions about the process. Simply call our offices or fill out our contact form to schedule a free consultation. We serve clients out of our Franklin, Brentwood, and Columbia offices.