It’s hard to ever think of divorce as being “fun” or entertaining. We understand how difficult and stressful ending relationships and providing for your families are. Still, some unique perspectives can be calming and maybe even offer some insight into your situation. With that said, here are some colorful divorce facts that we hope peak your interest.
- The worlds’ oldest divorcees are an Italian man and woman. He was 99-year-old and she was 96-years old. They had been married for 60 years. He sought the divorce after finding love letters she’d written to another man back in the 1940s.
- A wife once sought a divorce because he husband’s prosthetic penis extension “snapped off” during intercourse.
- In America, if one spouse smokes, the odds of a divorce increase by 75%.
- After a divorce, men wait 3.3 years, on average, to remarry. Women wait 3.1 years.
- Seniors (anyone over 65) are divorcing at twice the rate they did in the 1980s.
- The professions that are likely to divorce the most are, in order: dancers, bartenders, massage therapists, casino workers, nurses, and home health aides.
- The professions with the lowest divorce rates are: agricultural engineers, salespeople, nuclear engineers, optometrists, clergy, and podiatrists.
- New Jersey has the lowest divorce rate. Second lowest is New York.
- Wyoming, Florida, Kentucky, and Tennessee have the highest divorces rates, behind – as you might expect – Nevada which is known for its quick marriages.
- Getting married at an older age, having more income, and having more education contributes to longer marriages.
- “Having twins or triplets increases the risk of divorce by 17%.”
- One in 16 couples marry, divorce, and then marry each other again.
- In nearly 2 out of 3 American divorces, the woman is the spouse who filed for divorce.
- According to an Emory University study, the more you spend on a wedding, the higher the odds of a divorce are. “The study found that couples whose wedding budgets went over $20,000 were 1.6 times more likely to get divorced than couples whose weddings fell in the $5,000 to $10,000 range.”
- In 2011, a third of all legal proceedings for divorce cases in the US contained the word “Facebook.” As a practical matter, once you consider filing for divorce, it’s a good idea to stop posting to all forms of social media.
- “Hundreds of years ago, a Turkish wife could legally end her marriage if her husband failed to provide her with enough coffee.” Some might argue a day without coffee should still be grounds for divorce today.
You learn something new every day, don’t you? We certainly do.
At the Law Offices of Adrian H. Altshuler & Associates, we represent clients in uncontested divorces and contested divorces. You can trust us to protect you throughout the process. To speak with an experienced Franklin divorce lawyer, one who can guide you through this difficult time in your life, please call us at 615-412-1121 or complete our contact form to make an appointment. Our offices are located in Franklin, Columbia and Brentwood.